- Preheat the oven to gas 3, 170°C, 150°C fan. Heat up the olive oil in a large, shallow ovenproof pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the sausages for 5-8 mins until golden, turning halfway. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, crisp up the salami for 2 mins then remove. Fry the peppers in the pan juices for 3 mins, or until golden but still firm. Set the peppers aside with the sausages and salami.
- Add the onion to the pan (with a splash more oil if needed) and cook gently for 5 mins. Season, then add the chillies and oregano and cook for 1 more min.
- Pour the red wine into the pan (optional) and leave to bubble for 2 mins, then add the tomatoes, olives, tomato purée, sugar and beans. Carefully nestle the sausages and cooked peppers in the pan, then scatter over the salami. Cover with a lid and roast in the oven for 1 hr.
- Remove from the oven and leave to settle for 5 mins (skim any excess fat from the surface). Serve the stew with some crusty bread on the side, if you like.
Make it in a slow cooker
Brown the sausages, peppers and salami as described above. Fry the onions, chilli and oregano, then tip into a slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients, this time using 50ml wine instead of 150ml (optional). Add the cannellini beans and sausages, put the peppers and salami on top, then cover and cook on Low for 7 hrs.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Sausage recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.