Kids will love helping to bake and decorate these gorgeous snowman cupcakes. Perfect for a party and a great festive centrepiece or edible gift, the un-iced cupcakes can even be made a week in advance.
- Heat the oven to gas 3, 150°C, fan 130°C. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cupcake cases. Using a hand-held whisk, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then sift in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Fold through with a large spoon until just combined, then stir through the vanilla extract.
- Divide half the mixture evenly between the paper cases, add a tsp of white chocolate spread to the centre of each and cover with the remaining cupcake mixture. Transfer to the oven to bake for 16-18 mins, until golden and the cakes spring back when lightly touched. Allow to cool inside the tin for 5 mins, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the snowmen. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, then remove from the heat. Line a flat baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Insert a cocktail stick into the slimmer end of one of the pink marshmallows and gently coat in the melted chocolate. Place on the lined baking sheet and, using the cocktail stick, spread the chocolate dripping down the sides in a circular motion so it looks like a brimmed top hat. Repeat until you have coated all 12 marshmallows, then place in the fridge to set. Reserve the leftover melted chocolate.
- In a a separate bowl, beat together the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat again until well combined. Using a small palette knife, spread the butter icing over each of the cooled cakes, saving a little to stick the marshmallows together.
- Stick two white marshmallows together with a little icing. Break each Matchmaker into 4 pieces and insert one on either side of the bottom marshmallow to make the snowman’s arms. Cut a piece of candied peel into a triangle for the nose. Using a paintbrush or skewer, draw eyes, a mouth and buttons with the leftover chocolate. Repeat until you have 12 snowmen. Carefully top each cupcake with a snowman, pressing into the icing to hold him firm.
- Insert a cocktail stick right through the heads of the snowmen and into the cakes, leaving a little of the stick protruding. You can use this to secure the hat. Carefully peel the hats off the baking paper and press into the cocktails sticks. Store in a cool place.
See more Christmas desserts recipes