Transport your guests to the tropics with this refreshing dessert: sweet pineapple, charred on a griddle pan and drizzled with a gorgeously sticky rum and chilli syrup – topped with a dollop of homemade piña colada ice cream that melts into the fruit, it's the dreamiest of summer desserts.
- To make the ice cream, put 200g pineapple in a blender and whizz to a purée. Cover and chill the remaining pineapple slices, until ready to cook later.
- Whip the coconut ice cream and rum in a large bowl, then fold through the pineapple purée. Spoon into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze for at least 4 hrs.
- Remove the pineapple slices from the fridge and sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar. Set aside.
- Put the remaining sugar in a pan with the rum. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, then add the chilli. Leave to bubble for 2-3 mins, until sticky and syrupy. Stir through the mint, lime zest and juice.
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking. Grill the pineapple slices for 1-2 mins each side, until lightly charred. Transfer to a bowl and pour over the syrup. Leave to macerate for 5 mins. Serve the pineapple with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of syrup.
See more Dessert recipes