These aren’t crackers in the traditional sense, but any child expecting a party hat and a joke won’t be disappointed by the gorgeous chicken, mushroom and broccoli filling!
- Put a large saucepan over a medium heat and add some oil. Make sure the oil is hot before adding the onions, stir until soft and golden.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned – this should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the dried and fresh mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Place the broccoli and chicken stock in the pan and reduce until the pan is nearly dry.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and season to taste. Pour this mixture into a bowl and leave to cool. Then, place in the fridge until set – approximately 20 minutes.
- While it is setting, lay a sheet of filo pastry onto a work surface. Brush half of the sheet with butter and then folder over so you have a double-layered square. Repeat the remaining filo so you have 8 double-layered square.
- Split the chilled mix into 8 portions and get your little helpers to shape each portion into a cylinder with their hands.
- Put a cylinder of the mix onto one pastry square – near one edge. Fold in the edge to cover and then roll to make a tight cylinder of pastry. Just before you get to the opposite edge, brush with melted butter and seal.
- The kids can now twist the ends of the pastry to make it into a cracker – if there is overhanging pastry simply trim it off. Brush the entire cracker once more with melted butter and put on a non-stick baking tray. Repeat to make all of the crackers.
- Heat the oven to gas 4, 170°C, fan 150°C. Put the baking tray in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes and cook the crackers until golden brown.
- While the crackers are in the oven, fold the paprika and chives into the crème fraîche.
- When the crackers are cooked, serve them alongside the crème fraîche.
See more Main meal recipes for kids
Always ensure that chicken is cooked through, with no pink showing.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.