Beef curry recipe
This super simple beef curry recipe is packed full of flavour and sure to be loved by all. With masses of fragrant spices and warming ginger, tender beef and fluffy basmati rice, this comforting curry recipe is ready in an hour. See method
- 400g beef rump, sliced thinly
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 200ml basmati rice (use a measuring jug), rinsed in several changes of cold water then drained
- 450ml boiling water
- 1tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- a few slices of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground black pepper
- ½tsp chilli powder
- ½tsp ground ginger
- 100g frozen peas
- sprigs of coriander, to garnish
Basmati rice can always be swapped for long-grain
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Add the rice and a little salt to the boiling water in a large saucepan. Bring back to the boil, cover, and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat, keeping the lid on, and set to one side.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large casserole dish over a moderate heat. Quickly sear the beef all over, then remove to a lined plate. Add the minced garlic and ginger as well as the slices of ginger to the dish and saute for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices to the pan along with the beef and stir well to combine. Pour in 100ml of water and bring the curry to a simmer. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then stir in the peas, remove from the heat, and allow to residual heat to cook them.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste. Re-heat the rice if necessary and spoon into serving bowls. Spoon the curry on top and garnish with a sprig of coriander before serving.
See more Curry recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.