Blueberry Bakewell tarts recipe
These smart individual Bakewell tarts look like they have come straight from a patisserie window, but are actually super easy to make. Ready-rolled, flaky puff pastry is a handy shortcut for a quick and easy bake, topped with fragrant almond frangipane and juicy fresh blueberries. See method
- 320g pack ready-rolled lighter puff pastry
- 50g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 100g pack ground almonds
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 250g blueberries
- 2 tbsp toasted flaked almonds (optional)
- icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Cut 2 sheets of nonstick baking paper to fit 2 baking sheets and set aside. Put the baking sheets without the paper in the oven to heat up. Unroll the pastry and cut it into 8 equal rectangular pieces. Score a 5mm border around the edge of each rectangle, taking care not to cut through the pastry. Place 4 pieces of pastry on each baking paper sheet.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon until creamy, then beat in the egg, ground almonds and vanilla extract to make a stiff paste. Spread over each pastry rectangle, staying within the border. Scatter the blueberries over.
- Carefully slide each sheet of baking paper onto a hot baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 mins until the pastry is risen and golden. Leave on the baking sheets for a few mins, then transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold, scattered with the flaked almonds and dusted with icing sugar, if you like.
Tip: Heating the baking sheets first helps ensure the pastry cooks through and is crisp and golden on the bottom.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines (cooked tarts)
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Baking recipes