The delectable combination of nutty celeriac, soft leek and aromatic thyme makes this dish the perfect warming winter main. Topped with deliciously zesty breadcrumbs, this healthy vegetarian recipe packs enough heat to liven up any night of the week.
See more Celeriac recipes
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan. Add the leeks and garlic, then cover and sweat, over a medium heat, for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the leeks catching. Stir in the thyme, then remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the breadcrumbs. In a food processor, whizz the ciabatta to coarse crumbs. Tip into a small bowl and mix with the chilli, cheese and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In a small jug, stir the flour into 4 tbsp stock. Add the cream, followed by the remaining stock; stir to combine. Set aside.
- Grease a 2ltr (3 1/2pt) ovenproof dish with butter. Layer up the celeriac, potatoes and the leek mixture, alternating between each until all are used up. Pour over the cream mixture, then scatter over the breadcrumbs. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, or until tender and golden. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, before scattering with the extra thyme and serving.