A light, fresh salad of charred baby gem lettuce with juicy orange, crisp red onion and a warming mustard dressing. A great way to add some colour and crunch to your spread. You could even try grilling the lettuce on the barbecue if dining al fresco.
- To make the dressing, combine the garlic, vinegar, mustard and honey in a bowl. Season with a pinch of salt, then add the oil in a steady stream, whisking continuously until combined. Stir in the poppy seeds and set aside.
- Put the onion slices in a bowl and cover with the lemon juice (this will make their strong favour less intense); set aside.
- Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat. Lightly brush the lettuce halves with oil and season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Cook in batches (if needed), cut-side down over a high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until charred. Remove the lettuce from the pan and arrange on a serving platter.
- Slice the orange segements in half lengthways, and add to the platter, dotting them between the lettuce halves. Strain the onions.
- Spoon over some of the dressing and scatter over the onions. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side.
See more Salad recipes