A delicious homemade calzone that's perfect for the ultimate cosy night. This hearty and warming folded pizza will not disappoint; stuffed with an unbeatable combination of mozzarella, mushrooms and spinach. To make this recipe vegetarian, swap the Parmesan for a vegetarian hard cheese.
- Tip the flour, 1 tsp of salt and yeast into a large bowl. Pour in 300ml of warm water and extra virgin olive oil and stir until the mixture comes together. Then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins until the dough is smooth and elastic. Alternatively, use a dough hook fitted to a stand mixer. Place in a lightly-oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave until doubled in size (about 1 hr).
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2 mins until golden. Then add the spinach and cook for 2 mins more until wilted. Leave to cool a little, squeeze out any excess water and season.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C and put in two large baking trays to heat up for about 15 mins. Punch down the risen dough and then divide into six. Tear off 6 large sheets of baking paper. Roll out each piece of dough onto a baking sheet until it forms a circle roughly 15cm wide. Spread a quarter of the mushroom mixture over one half of each circle leaving a 1cm edge around the rim.
- Then divide the mozzarella between the packages and scatter over half of the Parmesan. Fold the uncovered half of each piece of dough over the filling. Pinch and twist together the edges to seal, making sure you don’t leave any gaps. Brush a little olive oil over each calzone and scatter with the remaining Parmesan.
- Use another baking sheet, or your hands (very carefully), to slide each calzone on its baking paper onto the hot baking trays. Bake for 30 mins until puffed and golden.
See more Italian recipes