Chicken fricassee with mushrooms and carrots recipe
- 4 chicken leg and thigh pieces separated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 bushy thyme sprig
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp flour
- 600ml dry white wine
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 75ml double cream
- sea salt
- black pepper
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat ½ the olive oil in a deep casserole dish, then brown the chicken pieces on all sides and reserve on kitchen towel to drain.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the casserole then sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes until it starts to soften. Add the cumin seeds and chopped thyme (keep some back for garnish), and cook for a further minute before adding the chicken pieces back into the pan. Sieve the flour over the chicken and allow it to absorb. Pour in the white wine and crumble the stock cube and bring to a simmer making sure the stock cube is dissolved.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and carrots, then cover with a tight lid and cook in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the meat is cooked through with no pink showing. The stock/wine should reduce to a thicker sauce. If necessary, add a little flour (max 1/2tbsp) to thicken.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the cream. Garnish with a little more chopped thyme and serve.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.