Coffee and pecan cake recipe
Bake this indulgent coffee and pecan cake for an irresistible twist on a traditional teatime bake. Fluffy coffee and pecan sponges are sandwiched with creamy coffee mascarpone icing for the perfect afternoon tea treat. See method
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 175g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 60g pecans, chopped
For the icing
- 500g mascarpone
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 4 tbsp coffee liqueur, such as Tia Maria or Kahlúa
- handful pecan halves and coffee beans, to decorate
No self-raising flour? Add 2 tsp baking powder for every 150g plain flour
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Butter 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed tins and line with nonstick baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand whisk for about 5 mins or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Then fold in the flour and baking powder using a large metal spoon.
- Mix the coffee powder with 1 tablespoon of hot water and fold into the cake mix with the chopped pecans.
- Divide the cake mix between the two tins and smooth the surface. Bake for 20 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean and the surface of the cake is slightly springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for 5 mins in the tin and then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Drizzle the flat side of one cake with a tablespoon of coffee liqueur.
- To make the icing, beat the mascarpone together with the sugar and the rest of the coffee liqueur until smooth. Sandwich the cooled cakes with a third of the filling and then cover the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the filling. Decorate with the pecan halves and a little pile of chocolate-covered coffee beans in the middle.
This pudding is very rich and indulgent, so shouldn't be eaten too often. But it's perfect for those special occasions!
See more Baking recipes