Sumptuously rich and creamy, this decadent flourless chocolate and coffee cake is topped with a velvety Baileys cream and is perfect for serving to gluten-free guests this Christmas.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Lightly grease and line a 23cm (9in) springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Melt 250g (8oz) chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Add the butter and leave to melt into the chocolate. Once melted, stir and set aside to cool slightly. Roughly chop the remaining chocolate and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks (reserve the whites) with the soft brown sugar until combined, then fold in the chocolate mixture and the cold coffee.
- In another bowl, whisk the 4 reserved egg whites until stiff with an electric whisk, then gradually whisk in the caster sugar a little at a time until it is all incorporated and the mix is shiny and stiff.
- Add one spoonful of the egg white mix to the chocolate mixture and fold together, then carefully fold in the rest of the egg whites. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40 mins or until the cake has risen but the centre is no longer wobbly. Set the cake aside to cool in the tin. The middle will sink a little but don’t worry, this always happens with flourless cakes.
- Once cool, remove from the tin and put on a serving plate. In a bowl, whip together the double cream, icing sugar and Baileys until softly whipped, then spoon on top of the cake. Scatter with chocolate coated coffee beans and grated chocolate.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Bake according to the recipe and allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months, without the topping.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven. After it is defrosted thoroughly, top with the cream and decorations.
See more Gluten-free Christmas recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.