Shaun Rankin’s sweet potato gnocchi with tomato sauce recipe
Gnocchi are not only a healthy dinner, they’re also great fun to make. Getting the kids involved shows them it isn’t just sweet dough that needs rolling, and introduces them to some classic Italian flavours. See method
For the sweet potato gnocchi
- 500g sweet potatoes
- 90g strong bread flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 2tsp chopped dill
- 2tsp chopped tarragon
- 2tsp chopped chives
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 200ml passata
- 50g rocket
- 50g flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 170°C, fan 150°C.
- Bake the sweet potato in the oven for approximately 1 hour until cooked through.
- While still warm but cool enough to handle, use a blunt knife to remove the skin and place the potato flesh in a baking tray. Use a fork to break up the sweet potato and then leave to cool further.
- Once cool, sift the flour over the sweet potato and get the children to use their hands to mix in well – this is great, messy fun that the kids will love!
- Add the egg yolks, the herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper and mix together to form a dough that you can roll easily, using the back of a round knife to scrape the dough off the little ones’ hands. If the dough is too sticky to roll, keep adding flour until it is easier to handle.
- Roll out the dough into long, thin sausages, approximately 1cm thick. With a sharp knife cut into 2.5cm wide dumplings.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and season well with salt. Drop in the gnocchi and cook for 2 minutes. Get the children to watch them float to the top – when they do they are cooked! Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and once it starts to foam, add the gnocchi and cook for 1 minute. The gnocchi should take on a darker brown colour.
- Warm the passata in a small pan until hot. Divide the gnocchi across 2 plates and pour the hot passata sauce over the top.
- Finish with shavings of Parmesan cheese, rocket, parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve.
See more Vegetarian recipes