A light and summery dinner for two, tender chicken is served on a bed of aubergine and cinnamon-spiced rice, studded with juicy currants.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Heat half the oil in a lidded ovenproof pan. Add the aubergine and fry, over a high heat, until golden all over.
- Stir in the cinnamon, currants and rice. Fry for 1 min more until all the grains are coated in the oil, then pour in the stock with 100ml water.
- Stir in the butter and season well. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 20 mins, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, put the chicken between 2 sheets of clingflim. Bash with a rolling pin to thin the meat into an escalope. Remove the clingfilm and scatter over the allspice; season well.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the chicken and fry over a high heat for 3-5 mins on each side, until cooked through with no pink meat remaining.
- Divide the pilaf between 2 shallow bowls. Cut each chicken breast in half lengthways and arrange over the rice. Spoon over the pan juices. Scatter over the almonds and parsley to serve.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Cook as instructed and allow to cool completely. Then transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating.
See more Chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.