These tasty fritters make a delicious starter or snack and can be ready in a matter of minutes, leaving you time to rustle up some garlic and smoked paprika mayonnaise, which is ideal for dipping. Enjoy these seasonal bites as they are or, for a main meal, top with ripe avocado and a poached egg.
- Put the garlic in a pestle and mortar, add a pinch of salt and crush. Add the paprika and mix until smooth. Tip into a mixing bowl and combine with the mayonnaise. Season with a little lemon juice and set aside.
- To make the fritters, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle, add the egg and slowly whisk in the flour from the edges. Gradually pour in the milk, whisking in more flour until all the milk is added and you have a smooth batter.
- Mix in the lemon zest, spring onions and chopped parsley.
- Heat half the butter in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Ladle 4 tablespoons of the batter into the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until lightly golden. Remove and keep warm under a clean tea towel. Repeat with the remaining butter and batter.
- Serve immediately with the mayonnaise.
See more Vegetarian recipes