Tomato and sweet onion pasta recipe
There's nothing better than a comforting bowl of creamy pasta after a long day, and this vegetarian dinner for two is quick and easy to rustle up any evening of the week. Simply stir tangy tomatoes, onion and soured cream through tender pasta, sprinkle with parsley, and enjoy. See method
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 150g dried penne
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 15g fresh parsley, stalks finely chopped, leaves roughly chopped
- 200g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 100g reduced-fat soured cream
If you haven't got penne, try using fusilli or another short pasta
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based pan over a medium heat until hot. Add the onions and fry for 10-12 mins until softened and golden, stirring occasionally to prevent them from catching. Remove from the pan; set aside.
- Wipe out the pan and add the pasta, garlic and parsley stalks. Pour over enough boiling water to cover, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 mins, then add the tomatoes. Cook for 4-5 mins until the pasta is just cooked and the tomatoes have broken down.
- Drain the pasta mixture, then return to the pan. Stir through the reserved onions, the soured cream and most of the parsley leaves. Season and garnish with the remaining parsley leaves to serve.
See more Pasta recipes