Lasagne is always a family favourite, and this vegan version is sure to be no different. With a hearty aubergine and red pepper filling, plus a creamy white sauce, you won’t miss the meat or dairy in this pasta feast.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and fry half the aubergine until golden. Transfer to a plate while you repeat with another 1 tbsp oil and the remaining aubergine.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and add the onion and red pepper. Fry for 5 mins until softened. Add the garlic, chilli and thyme and cook for 2 mins, stirring regularly.
- Add the aubergine back into the pan along with the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar, vinegar and a splash of water. Simmer for 10 mins until thickened, then season to taste.
- Meanwhile, make the white sauce. Put the milk and the onion half in a saucepan and gently heat until just bubbling. Remove the onion and set the milk aside.
- Melt the spread in a separate saucepan, then stir in the flour until you have a smooth paste. Slowly pour in the warm milk, stirring well as you go, until smooth. Continue to simmer very gently for 8-10 mins, stirring often to prevent it sticking, until you have a thick sauce. Finally, stir in the yeast extract and mustard.
- Spoon a third of the aubergine sauce into the bottom of a deep baking dish, arrange a third of the pasta sheets in a layer over the top (snapping pieces to fill in any gaps) then spoon over a third of the white sauce. Repeat with the remaining sauces and pasta to create 2 more layers, finishing with a layer of white sauce. Bake for 50 mins or until golden and bubbling.
Tip: If serving to vegan guests, double check that the lasagne pasta sheets are egg-free.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
See more Vegan recipes