Wednesday: Giant cheesy leek pasty
500g frozen leaf spinach, defrosted
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
700g sliced leeks
100g mature Cheddar, coarsely grated
500g block puff pastry
1 tbsp plain flour, for dusting
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
1 tbsp honey and mustard dressing
½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
1. Preheat a large baking tray in the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C.
2. Place the spinach in a sieve and squeeze out any excess liquid.
3. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the garlic, leeks and spinach and fry for 10 mins until softened and heated through. Remove from the heat and mix through the grated Cheddar. Season to taste.
4. Divide the pastry into 2 blocks, one 1/3 smaller than the other, and shape into 2 round disks.
5. Lightly dust a clean worksurface with the flour and roll the smaller disc of pastry into a 25cm circle, trimming to size if needed. Slide the pastry onto a sheet of baking paper and top with the leek filling, leaving a 3cm border around the edge. Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
6. Roll the second disc out to a 35cm circle and, using the rolling pin, lift the pastry over the leek filling and smooth with your hands to create a bowler hat shape. Crimp the edges of the pastry with a fork and trim off any excess. Brush with the remaining egg and score a cross in the middle of the pie to allow the steam to escape.
7. Using the baking paper, slide the pie onto the preheated baking tray and bake in the oven for 25 mins until golden.
8. Mix together the carrot, dressing and mustard and season to taste. Serve with the pie.