Thursday: Aubergine vegballs with tomato sauce
3 tbsp olive oil
2 large aubergines, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 x 400g tins Grower's Harvest chopped tomatoes
2 tsp dried oregano
150g Grower's Harvest porridge oats
handful basil, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
400g Hearty Food Co. spaghetti
1. To make the vegballs, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the aubergine and half the onion and cook for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened. Tip the mixture into a food processor and leave to cool slightly.
2. For the sauce, return the saucepan to the heat and add another 1 tbsp of oil. Add the remaining onion and cook for 10 mins until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min. Pour in the tomatoes and 200ml water, reduce the heat to low and season to taste. Cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
3. Once the aubergine has cooled slightly, add the oregano, oats, basil and salt to the food processor. Pulse the mixture a few times until it comes together. With wet hands to stop it sticking (the mixture will be very soft), roll the mixture into 16 balls.
4. Place the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the vegballs and cook for 5-8 mins or until lightly browned.
5. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti to pack instructions. Drain and add to the tomato sauce, tossing to coat. Add the vegballs then divide between bowls and top with a few extra basil leaves.