Italian pot roast
A great alternative to a classic roast with Italian flavours and tender beef brisket. The slow cooking of this Italian-inspired pot roast results in succulent slices of beef with lots of deliciously flavoured vegetables and hearty red wine gravy.
- Preheat the oven to gas 2, 150°C, fan 130°C.
- Rub the brisket with olive oil and seasoning and sear in a frying pan on a high heat until browned all over. Remove meat from the pan and quickly fry the pancetta until golden. Set aside.
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in boiling water just to cover and leave for 10 minutes. In a large, heavy-based casserole dish put the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and place the brisket on top. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 3 1/2 hours. Turn the brisket twice during cooking. When cooked, remove the brisket and rest for 20 minutes. Reduce the sauce, if necessary.
- Slice the brisket and serve with potatoes. Spoon over the sauce, pancetta and mushrooms.
See more Italian recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details