Take a break from your regular Sunday roast and wow your guests with this hearty rib of beef instead. A meat lover’s dream, this tender, juicy cut is surrounded by sweet, roasted root vegetables tossed in lemon and poppy seeds.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Put the beef in a large roasting tin and rub with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the potatoes, shallots, carrots and turnips to the tin, arranging them around the beef. Drizzle the veg with the olive oil, add the rosemary, then roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the chipotle paste, maple syrup and mustard powder. Set aside, until needed.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and reduce the temperature to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Spread the chipotle mixture all over the beef fat, then return the tin to the oven and continue cooking for 10 minutes per 450g (14 1/2oz) for rare meat or 12 minutes for medium-rare meat. Remove, loosely cover with foil and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, toss the veg with the poppy seeds and lemon zest. Slice the beef and serve with the veg and wilted greens, if you like.
See more Beef recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.