Adam Gray's straightforward macaroni ham and cheese is a delicious recipe for kids and adults. If sliced ham isn't your thing, why not replace with chicken or turkey, or you could even try pancetta.
- Fill a large saucepan with water. Add a splash of rapeseed oil and bring to the boil. Add the dried macaroni and cook as per packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a separate pan, add the single cream, English mustard and crème fraîche and slowly melt over a low heat.
- Add most of the grated cheese to the cream mixture, reserving some for later, and stir until all the cheese is fully incorporated.
- Add the chopped ham to the cream mixture and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Mix the cooked hot macaroni pasta with the cream and ham mixture and place in an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle some more grated cheese on top and place under a preheated medium to hot grill for 4–6 minutes until a golden crisp surface forms. Serve immediately.
See all Pasta recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.