Baked mini iced doughnuts recipe
Treat yourself to these cute little iced doughnuts, they may be bite-size but they're so moreish you'll want to eat them all! Baked in the oven these doughy delights are really simple to make and the kids will have lots of fun decorating them. Perfect for a birthday party! See method
For the doughnut
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 115g (3 3/4oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 120ml (3 3/4fl oz) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 190g plain white flour
For the glaze
- 170g (6oz) icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- red food colouring gel
- blue food colouring gel
- green food colouring gel
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat oven to gas 2, 160°C, fan 140°C. Grease a mini doughnut tray.
- To make the glaze, combine the icing sugar, vanilla extract and 4 tsp water in a bowl, mixing until smooth. Spoon the icing evenly into 3 small bowls. Add a few drops of one food colouring to the first bowl and mix until the desired shade is reached. Repeat with the remaining bowls, using a different colour for each. Set aside while you make the doughnuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Gradually add the egg, milk, vanilla, then fold in the flour, baking powder and a pinch salt. Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared tin and bake for 10 minutes until risen and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. To decorate, dip each doughnut in icing to cover a third of way, making 4 of each colour. Leave to set a little, then serve.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Bake according to the recipe but stop before adding decoration or icing if called for. Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven.
If you wish to add icing or decoration, add them after the baked goods have fully defrosted and are at room temperature.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat