Beetroot fritters recipe
Fancy something different for tea tonight? Try these tasty, veg-packed fritters – the attractive pink colour comes from cooked beetroot. Serve with a minty crème fraîche dip, new potatoes and green beans. Ready in just half an hour, this healthy recipe is worth a try! See method
- 500g new potatoes, halved if large
- 220g pack green beans, trimmed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g plain flour, plus 1 tbsp (if needed)
- 200g cooked beetroot, coarsely grated
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 lemon, zested, ½ juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 150ml 50% less fat crème fraîche
- 10g fresh mint, finely chopped
1 of your 5-a-day and low in salt
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of simmering salted water for 15-20 mins until tender. Add the green beans for the final 3 mins; drain both well.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and flour with 50ml water and some seasoning to make a smooth batter. Squeeze the grated beetroot in a sieve to remove some of the liquid, pressing down with the back of a spoon, then add to the batter along with the peas and half the lemon zest. Add more flour to thicken the batter, if you need to: it should fall reluctantly off the spoon.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large, nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add serving spoonfuls of the batter and fry for 2-3 mins until golden underneath and the top has just set, then flip and cook for another 1-2 mins until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and repeat with the remaining batter to make 8 fritters.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a small pan over a medium heat and fry the sliced garlic for 1-2 mins until fragrant. Add the cooked green beans, lemon juice and some seasoning. Fry for 1 min until the beans are heated through.
- In a bowl, whisk the crème fraîche with the remaining lemon zest, most of the chopped mint and 1 tbsp water, if needed. Serve with the fritters and scatter over the remaining mint. Serve the potatoes and beans alongside.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Vegetarian recipes