Loaded with black beans, fiery chilli and fragrant herbs, these veggie-friendly patties pack some serious heat. Top with creamy avocado and yet more chilli for a boredom-busting, Mexican-inspired midweek meal.
- In a bowl, mash the beans to a coarse paste. Mix in the finely chopped chilli, onions, coriander and breadcrumbs. Shape into 4 burgers; chill for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, using a fork, mash the avocado with the lime juice, yogurt and a pinch of salt, until smooth. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the tomato slices and cook for 1-2 mins on each side. Remove; set aside.
- Wipe the pan, heat the remaining oil and cook the burgers for 4-5 mins each side, until golden. Set aside.
- Heat the buns in the pan, cut side down, for 10 secs. Top the bottom bun with lettuce, a burger, a dollop of avocado and a few tomato slices. Scatter over the sliced chilli and squeeze over the lime half. Sandwich with the top bun.
Tip: If the bean mix feels a little loose then you could mix in an egg to help it bind.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Freeze the raw patties only. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before continuing with the recipe method.
See more Vegetarian recipes