These vibrant, fiery beetroot patties take veggie burgers to a whole other level. Stack them up with crisp Little Gem lettuce, creamy guacamole, fiery chilli and pickled gherkins for a sensational main.
- Peel and finely grate the beetroot. Wrap in a clean cloth, hold over the sink and squeeze out as much moisture as possible (there will be quite a lot), then transfer to a clean bowl. You should have around 150g dry grated beetroot.
- Add the puy lentils to the bowl and finely grate in the garlic. Whizz the oats in a food processor, then add to the bowl, with the beaten egg. Use your hands to combine the mixture thoroughly. Divide into 4 evenly sized patties, taking care to really press them together.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium-low heat. Fry the patties for around 15 mins, turning halfway through.
- For the guacamole mix together all the ingredients, season with salt and pepper, and mash until a chunky mixture is formed.
- To construct each burger, add Little Gem lettuce leaves to the base of a roll then top with rounds of pepper, guacamole, then top with a beetroot burger patty and add chopped fresh chillies on top of the patty to suit preferences. Add gherkins and then add ketchup to taste. Finish with the bun lid and secure with a wooden skewer, if you like.
See more Vegetarian recipes