Serve up a generous helping of this fruity Christmas pudding. The deliciously traditional festive dessert with all its sweet and spicy flavour tastes even more amazing when topped with a dollop of brandy butter, and truly is the perfect Christmas dessert recipe.
- Place the suet, breadcrumbs, spices, sugar, citrus zest, almonds, dried fruit and apple in a large bowl and combine well.
- Whisk together the Guinness, brandy and eggs, then pour this into the fruit mixture and mix again really thoroughly (this is where you can get the family involved, each member stirring and making a wish!) Cover and leave to stand overnight.
- Sift in the flour and mix thoroughly before spooning in to a 1.2 litre basin. Cover the top with a circle of greaseproof paper and then cover with another larger piece that has a fold in the middle, which enables the pudding to expand. Tie round the rim of the basin with string. Repeat with a piece of foil, tying with string.
- Put in a large pan. Use a trivet or, if you don’t have one, something small such as a saucer to prevent the pudding from touching the base of the pan and getting too hot. Then pour in boiling water to at least halfway up the side of the basin. Steam for 8 hrs, over a low heat, checking from time to time as you will need to top up the water.
- After 8 hrs, remove from the pan and store somewhere cool until Christmas.
- When you wish to eat the pudding, steam as above in step 4, for 2 hrs. Carefully remove from the pan, then remove the foil and paper and invert onto a plate to serve.
See more Christmas dessert recipes