Sweet and airy meringue, zesty citrus and cranberry, and crumbly pastry make this magnificent meringue pie the perfect Christmas baking recipe to impress friends and family.
- Combine the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Add the butter and whizz to crumbs. Tip into a mixing bowl and add the egg yolk and 1 tbsp water; bring together using a knife.
- Knead briefy, then shape into a disc. Wrap in clingflm; chill for 30 minutes. Grease a 23cm (9in) loose-bottomed fluted tart tin. Roll out the pastry to a 30cm (12in) circle and press into the tin. Trim slightly and prick the base. Chill for at least 20 mins or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Line the pastry case with nonstick baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 mins, then remove the paper and beans. Return to the oven for 5-6 mins until golden. Remove and trim the edge with a knife; set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Combine the cranberries, spices, citrus zests and 3 tbsp water in a large pan. Cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins. Remove and set aside to cool slightly, before straining through a sieve, discarding the solids. Stir in the sugar.
- In a jug, whisk the cornflour with the citrus juices and pour into a clean pan. Add the strained cranberry mixture, and cook over a medium-low heat for 10 mins, stirring, until thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in the whole egg until combined, then return to the heat for 5-10 mins, stirring until thickened. Remove and leave to cool. Chill for 30 mins to 1 hr.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. For the meringue, put the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk to stiff peaks using an electric whisk. Add the sugar, a little at a time, then whisk in the cornflour until stiff and glossy.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry case. Starting 1cm (1/2in) from the edge, spread the pie with the meringue, working it into the middle to create a dome (this may drop a little once baked). Bake for 25-30 mins, until golden. Leave to cool in the tin, before transferring to a cake stand.
Tip: To ensure your meringue holds its shape, leave to cool completely (or chill) before slicing. Eat on the same day.
See more Adventurous Christmas baking recipes