Curried drumsticks recipe
Whether you're having a picnic on the beach or at your favourite spot in the park, make lunch one to remember with these chicken drumsticks. A simple marinade makes them so delicious; yogurt tenderises the meat and the spices in the curry paste add a subtle fragrance and gentle chilli hum. See method
- 200g Greek or coconut yogurt
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 3 tbsp curry paste
- 5 tbsp mango chutney
- 12 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds
- 1 Romaine lettuce, shredded, to serve
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- In a large bowl, mix 150g yogurt with the coconut milk, curry paste and 4 tbsp chutney. Make a couple of cuts across the thickest part of each drumstick. Add to the marinade and turn to coat. Cover and chill for 1 hr, or up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C. Put the chicken on a baking tray lined with nonstick baking paper. Season well. Bake for 40 mins, or until cooked through with no pink meat showing. Scatter with the almonds and bake for 5-10 mins, until the nuts are golden. Cool.
- Marble the remaining chutney through the remaining yogurt in a bowl, to make a dipping sauce.
- Serve the drumsticks with the lettuce and the mango dip (or chill for up to 24 hrs before taking on your picnic).
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. Always defrost and heat thoroughly before eating. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.