Dan’s favourite recipe is this lighter lasagne, created by his partner, Liam, and packed full of veg with a simple ricotta and crème fraîche sauce topped with Parmesan, sliced tomatoes, and prosciutto. Luckily for Dan, Liam is a pro in the kitchen and often makes extra for him to stash in the freezer, so that if Liam’s away, Dan always has a quick, tasty meal at the ready. After nearly 15 years together, they’ve got the cooking covered!
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion, pepper, carrot, aubergine, and mushrooms, stirring occasionally for 10 mins, until softened. Add the beef and fry for 4-5 mins until browned, breaking up the bulk with a wooden spoon.
- Add the stock pot, chopped tomatoes, and passata; season. Simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10-15 mins, until thickened.
- Beat the eggs with the ricotta, crème fraîche, 2 tbsp Parmesan, the nutmeg and a pinch of salt, until smooth.
- To assemble the lasagne, tip half the mince into the base of a 25cm x 30cm ovenproof dish, top with 2 sheets of lasagne then spread over half the ricotta mixture. Repeat with the remaining mince, lasagne sheets, and ricotta mix, then top with the tomato slices and bake for 20 mins.
- Remove from the oven and scatter over the remaining Parmesan. Tear the prosciutto and arrange on top around the tomatoes, bake for 20 mins, until bubbling. Leave to stand for 10 mins before serving.
Divide the lasagne up into portions and freeze for easy weekday meal planning.
Make a light lunchtime bite, or canapes, by mixing crème fraîche with a little mustard and lemon juice, spread on crackers and top with torn prosciutto. Season, or sprinkle with chopped parsley for extra flavour.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.
F&F Bursting with Pride T-Shirt: Designed in honour of LGBT Pride, this unisex F&F t-shirt features a rainbow heart motif with the hashtag slogan, #BurstingWithPride. Tesco will donate £1 from the sale of each Pride T-shirt sold in Tesco stores and on Tesco.com between 1 June 2017 and 1 September 2017 to Diversity Role Models (charity number 1142548). Buy the t-shirt now.