Delicious brownies have been given a zesty makeover! Combining the classic flavours of chocolate and orange is always a good idea, and doing so by cooking the gooey brownies in a hollowed out orange is even more exciting. You can make these fuss-free sweet treats in one saucepan over the campfire. Hollow out the oranges in advance or on site, making sure you hold them over a large mixing bowl to catch all the juice and pulp which can then be sieved to make delicious, fresh orange juice.
- If making these brownies on a campfire, make sure there are plenty of white-hot coals to bury the oranges in later. Have a trivet ready to hold a saucepan over the fire – you’ll need it to warm the brownie ingredients through.
- Cut the tops off the oranges about a quarter of the way down. Squeeze the juice out of the tops into a bowl and remove the remaining pulp. It is easiest to do this with clean hands. Use a small, serrated knife to carefully cut around the inside of the oranges, removing most of the insides without breaking the shell. Make sure children have help with this step. Again, use clean hands to remove as much of the remaining pulp and fibres as possible. Cut out 8 15x15cm (6x6in) squares of foil. It is easiest to do this in advance and take the hollowed-out oranges, ‘lids’ and foil squares to the campsite.
- Weigh the dark chocolate, butter and sugars into one container and the flour and cocoa into a second container. Take them to the campsite.
- If using an oven, preheat it to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4.
- Melt the dark chocolate, butter and sugars together in a saucepan set over a gentle heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth. Once melted, remove from the heat.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the flour and cocoa powder.
- Divide between the oranges, each fruit should hold about 2 heaped tablespoons of batter to reach ¾ of the way up the sides, and press a piece of milk chocolate into the centre of each. Replace the orange lids. Wrap every orange in a square of foil and either tuck into the white-hot embers of the fire or arrange on a tray and bake in the oven.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes, until spongy on the outside, but still a bit wobbly in the middle. Eat from the oranges with a spoon while the brownies are still warm.
See more Summer desserts