These crunchy, tasty biscotti will keep for up to four weeks if stored in an airtight container, so you can make them a month in advance of giving, all wrapped up in some nice paper and string.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180ºC, fan 160ºC.
- Put the hazelnuts on a baking tray and toast on the top shelf of the oven for 5-10 minutes. Leave to cool completely before rubbing between your hands to remove the skin and roughly chop.
- Mix all of the remaining ingredients in a large bowl until it starts to form a dough.
- Tip onto a well floured work surface and continue working the dough to bring it together. Divide into 3 and roll each piece into a sausage shape about 20 x 5cm (8 x 2in). Lay the rolls spaced apart, on a baking sheet lined with nonstick baking paper and bake for 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 2-3 minutes and then cut each roll on the diagonal into about 10 thin biscuits. You should have approximately 30 in total.
- Put back on the lined baking sheets; turn down the oven to gas mark 1, 140ºC, fan 120ºC and bake for a further 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the biscotti to sit in the oven with the door slightly open for a further 30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
See more Edible gift recipes