Jaffa cakes recipe
For the cakes
- 2 free-range eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g plain flour, sieved
For the filling
- 1 x 135g packet orange jelly, chopped
- 1tbsp orange marmalade
- 125ml boiling water
- 200g good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
For the candied peel
- 100g orange peel, cut into strips
- 100g caster sugar
- 4tbsp water
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- For the cakes, bring a little water to the boil in a pan, then reduce the heat until the water is simmering. Suspend a heatproof bowl over the water (do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water). Add the eggs and sugar to the bowl and beat continuously for 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture is pale, fluffy and well combined. Fold in the flour.
- Half-fill each well in a greased 12-hole muffin tin with the cake batter. Bake the cakes for 8-10 minutes, or when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set the cakes aside, still in their tray, until cool.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by mixing together the jelly, marmalade and boiling water in a bowl until the jelly has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Pour the filling mixture into a shallow-sided baking tray or large dish to form a 1cm layer of jelly. Set aside until completely cooled, and then chill in the fridge until set.
- When the jelly has set and the cakes have cooled, cut small discs from the layer of jelly, equal in diameter to the cakes. Sit one jelly disc on top of each cake.
- Once more, bring a little water to the boil in a pan, then reduce the heat until the water is simmering. Suspend a heatproof bowl over the water. Add the chocolate and stir until melted, smooth and glossy, then pour over the cakes. Set aside until the melted chocolate has cooled and set.
- Decorate with candied orange peel. To make the candied peel, place peel strips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes longer. Drain. Repeat this process two more times.
- In a medium saucepan, heat sugar and water over high heat until boiling. Place peel in sugar mixture, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, until sugar is dissolved. Remove peel with slotted spoon and dry on wire rack overnight.
Store in an airtight container.
See more Dessert Recipes