Jamie's Christmas veg salad recipe
Jamie says: "Make the most of your gorgeous festive leftovers with these easy recipes – a fresh, zingy salad, a comforting speedy pasta and a treat of a pud. Simply delicious! These big-flavour, budget-friendly recipes will help you to cut back on food waste and get some of the good stuff. Plus, there’s next to no cooking required too!" See method
For the dressing
- 3 limes
- 4 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce
For the salad
- 320g red or white cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bunch of fresh mint (or coriander, flat-leaf parsley or basil)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- First prepare your salad ingredients. Finely shred the cabbage (and any other crunchy veg, if using). Peel the carrots into ribbons using a speed peeler, or you can coarsely grate if you prefer. Roughly chop the cucumber into chunky pieces. Pick a few baby leaves from the mint and set aside for later. Roughly shred the rest. Toss all the veg and chopped herbs together in a large bowl.
- Next, make the dressing. Juice 2 of the limes and add to a small bowl with the remaining ingredients. Whisk together with a fork until combined. Add a splash of cold water to loosen – you want to make sure it’s a spreadable consistency.
- Spoon the dressing into a large serving bowl, spreading it up and around the sides, then add the salad.
- Toss everything together and top with the baby mint leaves. Serve with the remaining lime, cut into wedges, on the side for squeezing over.
EASY SWAP: Mix up this salad by using any crunchy veg you’ve got leftover – try cauliflower or Brussels sprouts
TIPS: For extra crunch add any leftover nuts and seeds you’ve got and if you’re not a fan of peanut butter, swap out for tahini – it's a great alternative
See more Jamie Oliver recipes