Jamie's island salad recipe
Jamie says: "Whenever I’ve visited the Greek islands, I’ve been inspired by wonderful fresh and fruity halloumi salads, so I’ve had some fun here creating little webs of golden crispy halloumi that just eat so well." See method
- 1 cucumber
- 2 pittas
- 1 x 415g tin of sliced peaches in juice
- 120g mixed salad leaves
- 60g halloumi cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 of your 5-a-day
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Speed-peel the cucumber lengthways into long ribbons, discarding the seedy core, and place in a bowl with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and 1 tablespoon each of red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Toast the pittas, then slice into strips and arrange around the edges of two plates.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on a high heat. Drain and roughly chop the peaches (reserving the juice), then place in the pan with a good splash of the reserved juice, and season with pepper. Warm through for a few minutes while you toss the salad leaves with the dressed cucumber, and plate up.
- Remove the peaches to a bowl, give the pan a quick wipe with a ball of kitchen paper, then use the fine side of a box grater to grate half the halloumi over the surface of the pan (like a lacy doily).
- Leave on the heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden on one side, then tip directly over one of the plates, using a spatula to ease it away from the pan, if needed. Repeat with the remaining halloumi for the second plate. Spoon over the peaches, and tuck straight in.
See more Jamie Oliver recipes
Credit: 5 Ingredients Mediterranean by Jamie Oliver is published by Penguin Michael Joseph© Jamie Oliver Enterprises Limited (2023, 5 Ingredients Mediterranean). Recipe photography David Loftus ©2023