Jamie's Mexican-inspired black bean bake recipe
Jamie says: 'Making the most of storecupboard staples, this smoky and satisfying bake is sure to become a new family favourite. And it doesn’t just taste seriously good – it's nutritious too, packed with three of your 5-a-day.' This recipe is in collaboration with environmental charity WWF, which recommends eating meals that are rich in plants. For more information see the recipe method. See method
- 2 red onions
- 15g fresh coriander
- olive oil
- 200g frozen sliced peppers
- 2 tsp chipotle paste (or to taste)
- 2 x 400g tins black beans
- 4 wholemeal tortilla wraps
- 60g Cheddar
- 400g tin Italian peeled plum tomatoes
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Peel and finely slice the red onions. Finely chop the coriander stalks; set aside the leaves to garnish. Put a medium ovenproof frying pan on a medium-high heat with 1 tbsp olive oil and fry the onions, coriander stalks and frozen peppers for 5-10 mins until starting to soften.
- Stir in the chipotle paste for a couple of mins until smelling fragrant. Remove half the veg mixture to a plate, then pour the black beans (juice and all) into the pan. Simmer for 5 mins until the liquid has mostly evaporated. Season to perfection, take off the heat and allow to cool a little.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Lay out the tortilla wraps on a clean worktop and divide the black bean mixture between the 4 wraps, placing it on one half of each wrap. Grate over half the cheese and fold each wrap in half, then in half again to create triangular parcels.
- Pop the pan back on the heat and fry the reserved onion and pepper mixture for 1 min before scrunching in the tomatoes with clean hands and adding a splash of water. Bring to the boil, season, then turn off the heat. Nestle the triangles into the tomato sauce so that they fit snugly in the pan.
- Grate over the remaining cheese and grill for 3-4 mins until bubbling and starting to crisp up a little. Sprinkle over the coriander leaves and serve.
Tip: Make this dish gluten-free by serving with rice instead of tortillas.
See more Jamie Oliver recipes
This recipe is in collaboration with WWF, for more information visit Better Baskets - Tesco Groceries.