A twist on the traditional lemon drizzle cake using aromatic cardamom and warming crystallised ginger. Try this lovely tea-time hero for the perfect afternoon pick me up.
- Preheat the oven gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Lightly grease a 900g loaf tin with butter, then line with baking parchment. Crush the green cardamom pods with the base of a jar. Remove the little black seeds inside (discard the green husks) and crush seeds finely. Toss the stem ginger with 1 tablespoon of the flour and set aside. Combine the lemon juice and granulated sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- In a different bowl, beat the caster sugar and butter together for 3 minutes until very pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, a little at a time, then sieve in the remaining flour and baking powder, along with the ground almonds and crushed cardamom (unsieved), mixing well to combine. Stir in the milk and lemon zest, followed by the stem ginger.
- Transfer to the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes until golden. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Prick the hot cake all over with a skewer. Spoon the lemon juice and sugar mixture over. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin before turning out and slicing.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.