Mini Mexican sweetcorn fritters recipe
Channel your favourite Mexican flavours into this mini sweetcorn fritters recipe for a colourful canapé. The crispy golden fritters are loaded up with chilli, coriander and spring onions then topped with a dollop of smashed avocado for the perfect bite. See method
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g frozen or tinned sweetcorn
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- ½ 30g pack fresh coriander, finely chopped, reserving a few leaves for garnish
- 100g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 100ml soya milk
For the smashed avocado
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
If you don't have any spring onions, try using white onions or leeks and adjust the amount accordingly
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the sweetcorn and fry for 6 mins, tossing occasionally, until golden and starting to pop. Tip into a bowl and mix with the spring onion and red chilli, saving a little of both to garnish.
- Add the remaining fritter ingredients and stir to combine until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over a medium-high heat and, working in batches, fry tablespoons of the batter for 1-2 mins on each side until golden and crisp. Set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper while you cook the remaining fritters.
- For the smashed avocado, mash the avocado and lime together with a generous pinch of salt and pepper until you have a rough paste. Top each fritter with a little avocado and serve on a platter scattered with the lime zest, spring onion, chilli and coriander.
Tip: Fry the fritters up to 2 days in advance and freeze or store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the oven to piping hot before serving.
See more Canapé recipes