Mushroom and Parmesan risotto recipe
A delicious autumnal mushroom risotto recipe made with lots of mushroom varieties and plenty of Parmesan. Why not experiment with different mushrooms and cheese types for new and exciting flavours? See method
- 15g mixed dried mushrooms
- 750ml good vegetable or chicken stock
- 25g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 175g Arborio rice
- 4tbsp dry white wine or vermouth (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g mixed closed cup mushrooms
- 50g large flat mushrooms, halved or sliced
- 2tbsp finely grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- 1tbsp finely chopped parsley
Risotto rice can always be swapped for paella rice
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Place the dried mixed mushrooms in a small bowl and cover them with 100ml (3½fl oz) boiling water. Set aside to soak. Pour the stock into a small saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. In a separate pan, melt half the butter and add the onion. Cook, stirring, over a medium heat for about 6 minutes, until it's soft but not coloured.
- Add the rice and stir for 2 minutes, coating with the butter and onions. Pour in the wine, if using, and stir until it's evaporated. Add a ladleful of hot stock to the pan, and keep stirring until it has all but disappeared. Continue stirring in ladlefuls of stock until the rice is almost cooked and most of the stock used up (about 15-16 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat and briskly fry the fresh mushrooms until golden. Keep warm. Remove the dried mushrooms from their bowl and roughly chop. Strain their soaking liquid and add it to the rice along with the soaked mushrooms. Cook away the excess liquid, then add the remaining stock with half the fried mushrooms. By now, the rice should be cooked but not mushy.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the remaining butter and the Parmesan, cover and leave to rest for 2 minutes. Serve in warmed bowls, topped with the remaining fried mushrooms, a scattering of parsley and extra grated Parmesan.
See more Risotto recipes