Bursting full of flavour, this classic pumpkin pie recipe is filled with richly spiced golden pumpkin on a delicious shortcrust pastry base. Try serving this traditional American treat with a dollop of fresh, zesty whipped cream.
- Heat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C.
- To make the pastry, mix together the flour and the cinnamon, if using. Rub in the butter and stir in the icing sugar. Add enough water (about 7 tsp) to mix to a stiff dough.
- Roll out the pastry until it is large enough to line a 23cm x 23cm x 5cm deep pie dish. Pinch the edge of the pastry. Roll out any trimmings and, using a small cutter, stamp out leaf shapes. Attach to the rim of the pastry using a little water. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Line the pastry with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 8 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to gas 3, 150°C, fan 130°C. To make the filling, put the pumpkin and all other filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour into the pastry case and bake in the oven for about 1 hour until the filling is set. Remove and leave to cool.
- To serve, whisk the cream until thick. Spoon onto the pie and scatter over the orange zest.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.