Rhubarb has a distinctive bright colour and sharp taste that works wonderfully with juicy orange and aromatic ginger. This simple and comforting dessert heroes these flavours and makes the most of the classic rhubarb and custard combination. It can be ready in less than 30 minutes and is the ideal mid-week sweet treat.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Line a roasting tin with nonstick baking paper. For the custard, put the milk, vanilla pod and seeds into a pan set over a low heat. Bring to a simmer, and then remove from the heat. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse, and then discard the vanilla pod.
- Meanwhile, arrange the rhubarb in the prepared tin. Scatter over the sugar, most of the orange zest (reserving a teaspoon for serving) and the orange juice. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender, but holds its shape.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar. Gradually pour in the warm milk mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until combined.
- Return the mixture to the pan over a medium heat. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the custard has thickened. Transfer to a serving jug.
- Toast the flaked almonds in a dry frying pan for 1-2 minutes, until golden. Divide the rhubarb between 4 bowls and scatter over the crumbled biscuits, toasted almonds and reserved orange zest. Serve with the warm custard.
See more Seasonal recipes