A spin on the classic Christmas side, this fragrant stuffing swaps in red onions for sweetness and incorporates the luxurious crunch of toasted walnuts and a hint of lemon zest to brighten the traditional flavours.
- Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190ºC, fan 170ºC. Spread the walnut halves out on a baking tray and roast for 7-8 mins, until lightly browned. Leave to cool, then roughly chop.
- Melt the butter and oil together in a saucepan over a low-medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook gently for 10 mins, stirring often, until soft but not coloured.
- Tip the onion into a mixing bowl and stir in the sage, breadcrumbs, walnuts and lemon zest. Then add the beaten egg, stirring lightly but thoroughly to mix. Season to taste.
- Spoon the mix into a medium-sized, greased baking dish and gently smooth out to level, or form into 16 stuffing balls and bake in a roasting tin lined with nonstick baking paper.
- Bake the stuffing in the dish for 35 mins, or until golden-brown on top. If baking the stuffing balls, cook for 30 mins, turning the balls halfway so that they brown evenly. Serve while hot.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. To re-heat: Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Re-heat until piping hot.
See more Christmas side dishes