Spaghetti with purple sprouting broccoli and tomato and olive sauce recipe
Purple sprouting broccoli is at its best from January through to April and its robust, earthy taste makes it a great match for the rich flavours in this tomato and olive sauce. For added crunch, roughly chop two slices of sourdough, toss them in oil and toast them until golden before scattering over the spaghetti. See method
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp crushed red chilli flakes
- 3 x 400g tins whole plum tomatoes
- 10 black olives, pitted and halved
- 2 tsp capers in brine, drained
- 500g (1lb) spaghetti or wholewheat spaghetti
- 300g (10oz) purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed and cut into 3cm (1in) pieces
- grated vegetarian hard cheese or Parmesan, to serve
If you don't have plum tomatoes, use a tin of chopped tomatoes instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden.
- Stir in the tomatoes, breaking them down into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Season well, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add the olives and capers for the final 2 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti following the pack instructions. Add the broccoli to the pan for the final 3 minutes of cooking.
- Drain the spaghetti and broccoli well and add to the pan with the tomato sauce. Toss to coat, then divide between 4 pasta bowls and scatter with the cheese.
See more Pasta recipes