Slice into this sensational vanilla celebration cake and let the sweets hidden inside pour out to surprise and amaze your party guests. This showstopping cake is perfect for kids and adults alike!
- Heat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Grease and base line an 18cm (7in) deep sandwich tin. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat together well. Beat in the eggs, then fold in the flour, vanilla extract and milk. Spoon a third of the mixture into the tin and spread level. Bake in the oven for 35–40 minutes. Remove and cool. Repeat twice more so you have three sponges.
- To make the icing, beat the butter with half the icing sugar, then beat in the rest. Add 1-2 tsp hot water to mix to a spreading consistency.
- If the sponges have risen to a peak, trim off the cake tops to make them flat. Using an 8cm round cutter, stamp out the centre of each cake. Place one cake on a serving plate or board. Take one of the 8cm (3in) rounds and slice in half horizontally. Place one of these discs in the hole in the cake on the board, setting aside the other half. Spread a little icing on the cake. Place a second cake ring on top and spread with more icing. Top with the remaining cake ring.
- Fill the centre of the cake with the jelly beans. Put the reserved cake disc on top of the jelly beans to seal them in. Spread the remaining icing over the top and sides of the cake. Using a cake scraper, smooth the top and sides so that they are as flat as possible.
- Scatter the sprinkles over the top and halfway down the sides of the cake.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Bake according to the recipe but stop before adding decoration or icing if called for. Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven.
If you wish to add icing or decoration, add them after the baked goods have fully defrosted and are at room temperature.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.