Free-from apple crumble
This vegan apple crumble recipe is dairy- and gluten-free, and packed with tart Bramley apples, warming cinnamon and nutty crumble. Apple crumble is a classic British dessert, so perfect for serving at a family get-together. Make ahead and freeze, or serve straight from the oven with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream.
- Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C.
- Put the apples in a 25 x 16cm ovenproof dish at least 5cm deep.
- Pour over the lemon juice and toss to coat. Scatter over the sultanas and cinnamon, then drizzle with 60g maple syrup. Mix well, then put the dish on a baking tray and bake for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour and oats in a large bowl. Rub in the spread with your fingertips, then stir in the nuts, cranberries and 100g maple syrup until just combined. Don't overmix as it can become sticky.
- Scatter the topping over the baked apple mixture but don’t pack it down. Bake for a further 35 mins or until lightly golden-brown on top and bubbling at the edges. Leave to cool slightly, then serve with dairy-free cream or ice cream, if you like.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months. Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven.
See more Special diet recipes
View full recipe details