Chicken schnitzel with 'Kiev' mash
Revamp chicken schnitzel with a crispy, cheesy crumb, for a family dinner you'll want to make again and again. It's packed with flavour – from the garlic butter mash to the tender kale – this speedy dinner idea has it all and is ready in just 30 minutes. Serve with a quick parsley and garlic sauce and dig in!
- Boil the potatoes for 20 mins or until completely tender. Drain, return to the pan, season and mash until smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas 1, 140°C, fan 120°C. Put the chicken between 2 sheets of clingfilm and bash with a rolling pin to an even thickness of about 1cm. Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs on 3 large plates. Season the flour. Add the Parmesan to the breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Coat the chicken in the flour, then dip in the egg; lastly, dip in the cheesy breadcrumbs to coat.
- Fry 2 chicken pieces for 3 mins each side or until cooked through and golden. Transfer to a baking tray and put in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining chicken, adding the remaining 1 tbsp oil to fry. Switch off the oven (the residual heat will keep the chicken warm without overcooking). Alternatively, bake the chicken on a lined baking tray in an oven preheated to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C, for 8-10 mins until cooked through.
- Cook the kale in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 mins, then drain well. Return the empty pan to the heat and add the butter to melt. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 mins over a low heat, then stir in the parsley; season. Stir 1 tbsp of the garlic butter into the mash, then stir 2 tbsp boiling water into the remaining butter to make a sauce. Serve the mash and kale with the chicken, and the sauce drizzled over.
See more Dinner ideas
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details