Rhubarb and custard muffins
Bake these easy muffins for a sweet Easter teatime treat. They're packed with fresh rhubarb and sweet, creamy custard before being topped with crunchy demerara sugar.
View full recipe details
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200˚C, fan 180˚C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Slice the rhubarb in half lengthways, then chop into 1cm pieces and set aside.
- In a large jug, whisk together the sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and yogurt until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and custard powder (if using) into a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the rhubarb and stir until evenly incorporated – do not overmix as this will make the muffins tough.
- Place 1 heaped tbsp of muffin batter into each muffin case. Add ½ tbsp custard to each, then top with the remaining muffin batter to fill each case. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with the demerara sugar.
- Bake for 20 mins until risen and golden. Best eaten on the day they are made but can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days – try microwaving for 20 secs to soften before serving.