Warm orange cake with roasted rhubarb
Orange and rhubarb are a classic combination and vibrantly pink roasted rhubarb makes a pretty topping for this zesty spring cake. Polenta (or ground almonds) gives this cake a lovely moist texture making it ideal to serve warm with a dollop of crème fraîche as a dessert.
- Preheat the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C. Grease a 23cm round springform tin and line with nonstick baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Sift in the flour and baking powder, add the polenta or almonds, and the zest and juice of 1 orange; fold in.
- Spoon into the tin; level the surface. Bake for 40 mins until risen, golden and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven but leave in the tin.
- Increase the oven temperature to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Arrange the rhubarb on a baking tray. Pour over the remaining orange juice, add the sugar and toss to coat. Roast for 10 mins until just tender. Cool on the tray for 5 mins.
- Turn out the cake. Top with rhubarb, spoon the juices over and scatter with pistachios. Serve with crème fraîche, if you like.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines (cake only)
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Rhubarb recipes
View full recipe details