Blue cheese polenta with meatballs
Creamy blue cheese polenta is the perfect winter comfort food. Serve as a hearty alternative to mash or spaghetti with these juicy beef meatballs and a herby tomato sauce for a cosy twist on an Italian classic.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, deep frying pan. Add half the onion and cook for 10 mins until soft. Add half the garlic and cook for 1 min. Mix in the sage, tomatoes and 200ml hot water. Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer and allow to reduce slowly while making the meatballs.
- Put the mince, oregano, remaining onion and garlic in a large bowl. Add the egg, season well and mix together until well combined. Roll into 16 balls.
- Heat the remaining oil in a nonstick frying pan and add half the meatballs. Fry until lightly browned all over. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining meatballs.
- Add all the meatballs to the simmering tomato sauce and cook gently for 10 mins until cooked through.
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large pan and pour in the polenta. Cook over a low heat for 5 mins until smooth, stirring constantly. Add in the Stilton and stir until smooth and the cheese has fully melted. Spoon into bowls and top with the meatballs and sauce. Garnish with parsley to serve.
See more Beef recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details