Belgian-style potato salad recipe
Seasonal spuds are mixed with green beans and crispy smoked bacon in this Belgian-style potato salad. Serve with an ice-cold Stella Artois Unfiltered; the salty bacon and mustard-mayo dressing pair well with the refreshing notes of the beer. See method
If you don't have red onions, try using white, brown or spring onions
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tbsp of the red wine vinegar with the caster sugar. Toss in the red onion slices and set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Cover with a lid and place on a medium heat, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins, then add the beans to the pan and cook for a further 5 mins. Drain well, then place in a large bowl.
- While the potatoes are boiling, fry the bacon pieces over a medium heat until crispy. Just before the end, toss in the shallots and garlic for 2-3 mins until softened slightly.
- Stir the mayonnaise, mustard and remaining 3 tbsp of red wine vinegar together. Pour over the potatoes and beans, along with the onions, garlic and bacon, then season well. Set aside for 5 mins for the potatoes to absorb all the flavours. Finally, top with the pickled red onions.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Get ahead: Best made on the day of serving. The quick-pickled red onions can be made the day before, stored in a non-metallic container in the fridge until needed.
See more Potato salad recipes