BLT potato salad
Take the flavours of a classic sandwich and transform them into this hearty BLT potato salad recipe. Crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes and fresh lettuce combine with caramelised red onions and a punchy mustard dressing to update this traditional barbecue side into a simple lunch idea.
- Put the potatoes in a pan of salted water, bring to the boil and cook for 15 mins until tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 mins until starting to soften. Add the vinegar and continue to cook for a further 5 mins until caramelised. Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Put the bacon in the pan and fry until crisp – you may need to do this in batches. Remove from the pan and leave to cool a little, then slice or tear into large pieces.
- For the dressing, mix all the ingredients together and season to taste.
- To assemble the salad, combine the potatoes, onions, bacon, tomatoes and lettuce on a large serving dish. Drizzle over the dressing to serve.
Tip: This recipe can easily be made ahead of time – perfect for packed lunches. Cook the potatoes and bacon, and prep the dressing. Cover and chill, then assemble the salad when ready to eat. Bring to room temperature to serve.
See more Potato salad recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details